Select Page
This content was first published 4 years ago and may be superseded by events or new information. Please bear this in mind when evaluating this news article.

Stop right there. Before you even consider reading on, or printing off or scribbling on any RFA1 or RFA-whats-it forms get onto and check if you are registered to vote or if you are, if you are still on the register and where you are able to vote. Got it? Right. Carry on then.

In order to vote in an election or referendum in Ireland, you must be registered to vote.

So You’re Not Registered?

For inclusion in the Register of Electors you must complete an application form RFA.

So You Need Correction of Details

If you are on the draft Register of Electors but your details are incorrect you may claim to have a correction made by completing an application form RFA1. You can also use this form to be added on to the Register of Electors after the register is published on November 1st.

This form is only to be used in the period of November 1st to 25th.

So You Wanna Vote Toe Remove the Eighth Amendment?

You must fill out form RFA2, have it stamped by your local Garda, and sent to your local County Council before May 8th (Tuesday) 2018 to be included in the Supplement to the 2018/2019 Register of Electors.

This form is only to be used in a period when an election/referendum has been called and a person wishes to get on the register in order to be able to vote.

So You Wanna Change of Address to Vote?

If you are currently on the Register of Electors and you wish you change your address you must complete form RFA3.

All forms are available to download from


According to Citizens Information

“Students living away from home while attending college have the choice of being registered at either their home address or their student residential address. You must be registered at one address only and you must live at that address on 1 September before the register comes into force. If you live away from the address at which you are registered, you will need to contact the registration authority and give them your new address. If you leave your address but you plan to return there within 18 months, you can continue to be registered there, as long you do not register at any other address.

How to apply to be on the Register of Electors?

If you need to add your name or change your entry in the draft Register, you can do this up to 25 November each year. Completed forms should be returned to your local authority.

If you are applying because you have moved to a new address, you should include this information and your former address so that you can be removed from the register for that area.

The amended Register of Electors is published on 1 February and comes into force on 15 February.

What happens if I want to register after November 25th?

After November 25th you will need to apply to be on the Supplemental Register of Electors. You must complete form RFA2 and have it stamped by a member of An Garda Siochana.

You can make this application at any time, but in order to be included in the supplement used at an election, your application must be received by your local authority at least 15 days before polling day (Sundays, public holidays and Good Friday are not counted as days for this purpose).

Under 18?

You are eligible for inclusion in the supplement to the Register of Electors on or after the day on which you reach 18 years of age. If you are going to turn 18 before or on February 15th then you can be included in the Register of Electors.

Fill out the application form in the same way as everyone else. If you are applying to be on the Register of Elector using form RFA2 (ie the General Election has been called and you wish to be included in the Supplementary Register) you will need to bring proof of age with you to the Garda station.

Application forms


Collection and submission of forms

USI officers are on hand to help with the collection and submission of voter reg forms. What is important this year is that we take a running tally of which constituencies forms are being sent to. This will be crucial data in terms of contacting sitting TDs and candidates. While it will be good for us to be able to say we have registered X amount of students, it will be even better, and far more powerful, if we can say where we have registered these students, and exactly how many.

It is freepost to send forms to local councils but make sure you include FREEPOST in the address line or they will be sent back. Some councils will only accept voter reg forms in single envelopes. There is a list being compiled of the requirement of each council. If you have any questions or are unsure about sending forms off, please contact your regional officer or the USI Deputy Presidents, Annie Hoey.

This content was first published 4 years ago and may be superseded by events or new information. Please bear this in mind when evaluating this news article.