USI secured funding earlier in the year from the HSE to train Officers the necessary skills in how to bets support people with mental health difficulties and distresses. Over 40 Officers were trained and certified.
Policy and Campaigns:
- USI have recently become members of the National Women’s Council of Ireland (NWCI) and attended the AGM on Thursday 8th of June, along with the morning panel event under the theme #FeministsAreEverywhere. USI welcomes the adoption of a motion by NWCI membership to support structures in third level institutions to end sexual harassment and violence, under the ESHTE framework.
- The Vice President for the Southern Region attended the International Road Safety Conference on Alcohol – Tackling the Crisis on our Roads.
- The USI President and USI Vice President for Equality and Citizenship participated in the 35th VHI women’s mini marathon in aid of the repeal coalition along with an incredible 140 other women.
- Last week, the Vice President for Welfare alongside Mental Health First Aid Ireland hosted the first of 4 training for student officers in University College Cork. USI secured funding earlier in the year from the HSE to train Officers the necessary skills in how to bets support people with mental health difficulties and distresses. Over 40 Officers were trained and certified.
- USI warmly welcomes the publication of a book edited by Gráinne Healy, titled Crossing The Threshold which includes a chapter on the student movement’s significant work in building towards Marriage Equality in Ireland, written by former USI President, Laura Harmon. The chapter on the student movement records the work of current USI President Annie Hoey in a national strategy around voter registration and mobilisation, and notes the input of current USI Vice President for Equality and Citizenship, Síona Cahill, in the branding of the campaign which became nationally recognised: #MakeGráTheLaw.
Runners ready to #Run4Repeal at the VHI Women’s Mini Marathon