USI is the national representative body for the 374,000 students in third level education on the Island of Ireland. We are a membership organisation – our members are our affiliated Students’ Unions around Ireland, North and South.
See our annual reports here:
USI is a democratic organisation. The supreme authority of the Union is the Congress, which is representative of each affiliated students’ union, apportioned according to the size of the student body in each union. Each union also sends one voting member to the National Council – the executive body of the organisation.
A trilateral arrangement exists between USI, the National Union of Students in the United Kingdom and NUS-USI, the Student Movement in Northern Ireland. NUS-USI was formed in 1972 to ensure that all students in Northern Ireland could be members of the national union movement without distinction as to personal political or religious beliefs, particularly on the Northern Ireland constitutional question. Check out the NUS-USI Website
Our members are the students’ unions recognised by the colleges below. Not every student body in Ireland is eligible for membership according to our constitution. We refer to our members as ‘Member Organisations’ or MOs’. Individual students gain their membership of USI through their membership of a local students’ union. We refer to individual student members as ‘Ordinary Members’
|Southern Region:||Border, Midlands & Western Region:|
|· Carlow College · Cork Institute of Technology · Institute of Technology Carlow · Institute of Technology Tralee · Limerick Institute of Technology · Limerick Institute of Technology Tipperary · Limerick Schoolof Art & Design · Templemore College of Further Education · University College Cork · Waterford Institute of Technology||· Athlone Institute of Technology · Dundalk Institute of Technology · Galway Mayo Institute of Technology · Galway Mayo Institute of Technology – Castlebar · Institute of Technology, Sligo · Letterkenny Institute of Technology · National University of Ireland, Galway · National University of Ireland,Maynooth · St.Angela’s College, Sligo|
|Dublin Region:||Northern Region:|
|· Dublin City University · Dublin Institute of Technology · Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technology · Institute of Technology Blanchardstown · Institute of Technology, Tallaght · National College of Ireland · National College of Art and Design · Trinity College Dublin||· Belfast Metropolitan College, · North Western Regional College · Northern Regional College · Queen’s University, Belfast · South Eastern Regional College, · South Western Regional College · Southern Regional College, · St Mary’s University College, Belfast · Stranmillis University College, Belfast · University of Ulster|
- A ‘candidate member’ is a term of convenience which refers to a students’ union which has completed the process of democratically verifying their intention to join USI but which has not yet been ratified by the National Council. That member has a right of participation and engagement within rules set by the USI President.
- A ‘departing member’ is a term used to describe a member which has democratically verified their intention to leave USI but which is not engaged with USI. That member has declined the right of participation in the national union.
USI Branding Guidance
USI’s logo is a registered trade mark and may not be used without USI’s express written permission. Click here to download the >> USI Brand Guidelines. Now you’ve read those carefully, please find the logos you need. Please don’t stretch them.
USI Bank Details
BANK: Bank of Ireland ACN: The National Council of the Union of Students in Ireland AC: 22117410 SC: 900017 IBAN: IE08 BOFI 9000 1722 1174 10 BIC: BOFIIE2D Branch: College Green, Dublin
- General Manager: Ben Archibald | email@example.com
- Administrator: Denise Glover | firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Student Engagement Programme Manager: Oisín Hassan | email@example.com
- SAVES2 Energy and Sustainability Manager: Darcy Lonergan | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Mental Health Project Manager: Sarah Hughes | email@example.com
- Public Relations & Communications Manager: Aoife Duff | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julian de Spainn (Chair)
- Ciara Brennan
- Siobhán Fearon
- Hugh O’Reilly
Finance Committee External Members
- Chris Newell (Chair)
- Gary Redmond
- Richard Hammond
Gareth I J Williams
The Union of Students in Ireland is an unincorporated entity and is neither registered as a company nor as a charity. It is a confederal organisation, created by and funded by Students’ Unions jointly through its National Council, which serves as the National Executive body of the organisation. The Union’s structures include one incorporated entity: USIMS Ltd, a limited company which submits returns in accordance with the laws for regulation of limited companies.