Date(s) - 23/03/2015 - 26/03/2015
Sheraton Hotel Athlone
USI Congress 2015 will take place at the Sheraton Hotel, Athlone, from 23 to 26 March 2015.
The Hotel is very accessible. The main public transport routes come to the integrated Bus Éireann and Iarnród Éireann stations, less than 5 minutes’ walk from the hotel.
Parking is plentiful and complimentary – but we advise car-pooling for all delegates.
Food and Drink
Your delegate fee includes breakfasts, lunches and dinners. If you have special dietary requirements, you must inform your delegation leader before 15th March in order for these to be accommodated.
- Monday: Lunch and Dinner
- Tuesday: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Wednesday: Breakfast, Lunch and Congress Dinner
- Thursday: Breakfast
- Each delegate will have a bed in a shared room. Who you’re sharing with will be set by your delegation leader, so do talk to your DL if you have any preferences. Neither the hotel nor USI will engage in swapping people’s rooms – negotiate inside your delegation.
- It is possible but unlikely that a tiny number of delegates may be sharing in rooms with delegates from other colleges. We’ll try to avoid this, but delegation sizes make it difficult to accommodate.
- Whilst it is the intention to accommodate all delegates at the Congress hotel, there may be overspill into nearby locations. This will primarily affect delegations who miss deadlines for registrations, and Congress Observers.
- You’ll be sharing in a room with other people of the same gender.
- Requests for non-sharing (single) rooms will be considered if there is availability, but these incur an additional cost of €100.
Whoever is allocated to a room has the right to sleep there in comfort without disturbance, and to request that anybody not allocated to the room should leave.
Further – whoever’s allocated to a room is responsible for the state of the room at checkout, with no exceptions.
Bí ciúin near the bedrooms! People have a right to sleep.
Congress isn’t a holiday, but we appreciate people need to unwind. The hotel has a brilliant health, leisure suite and spa, and you’re welcome to avail of the facilities in your down time.
The Congress Dinner is the last night shindig – it’s an opportunity to have a more elegant and less rushed meal without having to refuel and return to the debate. It’s also the chance for the President to address the Congress and the Steering Committee to provide their take on how Congress has been.
We don’t believe in dress codes at USI – but many people take the Congress Dinner as the opportunity to dress up a little. Your call.
What should I wear?
Good question. Wear whatever you’re comfortable in for the Congress sessions – you’ll be in a big room with a couple of hundred other students. You will want comfort more than anything.
For the evening sessions and entertainment, there may be dress implications of the entertainments we (or your Delegation Leader) have planned, so keep checked in here to find out what’s happening.
USI Congress drama happens in the elections and the debates – we don’t need drama outside the Congress Hall. Details on the conduct expected of our delegates can be found in the Congress Document, but basically:
We don’t anticipate any problems at Congress, but be aware that USI believes in personal responsibility for the actions of individuals at our events. We won’t hesitate to exclude an attendee for any action which makes another delegate feel less able to participate.
Specifically, USI has policy on cyberbullying and adopts an explicit consent approach.