Comhairle Náisiúnta is the meeting of Students’ Union from across the island of Ireland where the Coiste Gnó present updates on the work they have done and get held accountable in between meetings of Comhdháil. We meet every six weeks to discuss policy, campaigns and events at our working groups. Every member of the Coiste Gnó is the chair of a working group – these groups develop policy and campaigns to be run on a national level.
Comhairle Náisiúnta Documentation
August 2022 - UUSU
- Motion in Support of UCU and IFUT Industrial Action [UCCSU] Motion passed
- Motion to Mandate a National Student Walkout over the Accommodation Crisis [UCCSU] Motion Passed
- Motion to Support DADA Campaign [NCADSU] Motion Passed
- Trans Equality Together Coalition [USI Coiste Gnó] Motion Passed
September 2022 - SETUSU Waterford
Coiste Gnó Officer Reports
- Constitutional Review Committee [USI Coiste Gnó] Motion Passed
- Standardisation of International and Postgraduate Fees [USI Coiste Gnó] Motion 9D’d to Postgraduate Affairs Working Group
- USI Motion to Abolish NDA’s in the cases of Sexual Harassment, Bullying and Discrimination [TU Dublin SU] Motion 9D’d to Welfare Working Group
November 2022 - NCISU
Coiste Gnó Officer Reports
- Money Mule Awareness Campaign [TU Dublin SU] Motion Passed
- USI Motion to Abolish NDA’s in the cases of Sexual Harassment, Bullying and Discrimination [TU Dublin SU] Motion Passed
December 2022 - TUSSU
Coiste Gnó Officer Reports
- Financial Needs of Non-EU Students [DCUSU] Motion 9D’d to next Comhairle Náisiúnta
- Operation Transformation [TU Dublin SU] Motion Passed
- Government Financial Aid for Students who do not Qualify for the Free Fees initiative [TU Dublin SU] Motion Passed
- Motion on EU Employment Law [USI Coiste Gnó] Motion Passed
- BDS Motion [TCDSU] Motion Passed
- USI Postgraduate Research Rights Charter [USI Coiste Gnó] Motion Passed
January 2022 - MTU Kerry SU
Coiste Gnó Reports
Have a question about Comhairle Náisiúnta?
If you have any questions about Comhairle Náisiúnta, email the USI President
Comhairle Náisiúnta is split across two days – the first day is for Working Groups, while the second day is taken up by the meeting of Comhairle Náisiúnta itself. The Working Groups are chaired by the USI Coiste Gnó and are for sabbatical officers to raise issues or queries, and for the USI Coiste Gnó to receive feedback and input on their work and ideas.
Presidents' Working Group
The Presidents’ Working Group is chaired by the USI President. All of the Presidents of Member Organisations are invited to attend. Presidents’ Working Group discusses USI policy, local issues and issues pertaining to SU autonomy. Presidents’ Working Group also vote to decide on the dates and locations of all Comhairle Náisiúnta events.
Academic Affairs Working Group
The Academic Affairs Working Group is chaired by the USI Vice President for Academic Affairs. Education officers from students’ unions which are members of USI are invited to attend. This working group looks at all of USI’s education related policy, and it is also a forum for sabbatical officers to share ideas and discuss issues they have encountered in all areas of education.
Welfare Working Group
The Welfare Working Group is chaired by the USI Vice President for Welfare. It is a space for Welfare Officers from students’ unions to discuss policy and campaign ideas in the fields of mental health, sexual health, consent and more!
Campaigns Working Group
The Campaigns Working Group is attended by all sabbatical officers in all member organisations. It is chaired by the USI Vice President for Campaigns. This is where USI gives updates on the current progression of its national campaigns, as well as providing updates from the activities of the Campaigns Strategy Committee.
Equality and Citizenship Working Group
The Equality and Citizenship Working Group is chaired by the USI Vice President for Equality and Citizenship. This working group is comprised of sabbatical and part-time officers from all of USI’s member organisations who have an interest in civics and equality policy. They work to develop new USI policies on all avenues pertaining to equality and citizenship, including; LGBTQ+ rights, abortion access and voter registration.
Ents, Marketing and Commercialisation Working Group
The Ents, Marketing and Commercialisation Working Group is a space for officers who do not fit into the typical welfare or education portfolios, eg. Ents Officers or Communications Officers. This working group is chaired by a member of the USI Coiste Gnó who has experience fulfilling one of these positions. The EMC Working Group meet to discuss engagement strategies, event ideas and receive training to assist them in their work.
Gaeilge Working Group
The Gaeilge Working Group is chaired by the USI Leas Uachtarán don Ghaeilge. It is a place for sabbatical officers to discuss strategies for the promotion of the Irish language and plan Irish language campaigns.
Postgraduate Affairs Working Group
The Postgraduate Affairs Working Group is chaired by the USI Vice President for Postgraduate Affairs. It is attended by sabbatical officers, part-time officers and postgraduate students. This group looks at furthering USI’s postgraduate policies and engagement, and works with trade unions and other representative groups to create robust policy.
Regional Working Groups
Regional Working Groups are chaired by the three regional Vice Presidents; the Vice President for the Border, Midlands and Western Region, the Vice President for the Southern Region, and the Vice President for the Dublin Region. Regional working groups are attended by all of the sabbatical officers within that region – where they discuss local issues and concerns and receive assistance and support from their local network of officers.
Do you have a question about one of the USI working groups
If you have any questions about the USI working groups, get in contact with our Coiste Gnó!